Has anyone else noticed the discussion that’s taking place in the small, Redbull and coffee induced, corner of the web?
It’s set our minds a’cogging as to which features, or steps, we’d like to see implemented by Adobe in Flash and their other flagship products in the Creative Suite.
Is any of this in the Adobe road map? Likely, no, but we can all dream.
- Open source Flash Player
- Language agnostic – more languages compiling to ABC. Alchemy has shown the way, lets build upon it.
- Two tier development model, allowing for rapid prototypes, while also allowing for high end RIAs.
- Scripting language for the timeline – Further enhancements to AS2 with new capabilities making it simpler for designers to continue to build simple RIAs/Websites/Interactions while allowing them to keep up with industry trends).
- Application language for RIAs – Further enhancements to AS3, making way for AS4, which could progressÂ away from the ECMAScript standard, and start heading towards a more hybrid route combining the best of Java, .Net, and ECMAScript.
- Multi-threading – Allow us to spawn a thread, Pixel Bender could be used here, but reduce the entry barrier by allowing developers to use AS would benefit everyone in the community.
- Multi-touch – a must have when it comes to FP10 on mobiles.
- Fix the NetStream issue whereby seeking between the first two indexed keyframes in an MPEG-4 AVC encoded video causes IE to crash.
- Better documentation of the SWF file format – currently the documentation is missing vital elements, such as Vector.
- Replace documentation with an open Wiki – Currently a lot of information is spread across blogs, Blueprint makes an attempt to bring this all into a central location while working in Flex, but a central Adobe Wiki would make a lot more sense for Adobe (Crowd sourcing documentation), and the end users.
- Fonts – Embedding fonts in a SWF is great, but wouldn’t it be great if you could use a normal font file, which is restricted via domain (similar to EOT, Embedded OpenType).
- Hardware acceleration
- Private Constructors – there are cases when Singletons areÂ appropriate, why should we have to hack these in.
- Better integration with other CS products, for example importing a Photoshop file with filters and text, retains the same text quality, and filters. Catalyst makes important steps towards this, but there could be improvements.
- ActionScript support server side, via an Apache mod, or more importantly Coldfusion.
- Better code editing within the Flash IDE – this has been promised for CS5.
- A better “Flash Player Settings Panel”
- Lower level access to video and audio.
- Extension “App Store” – An Adobe vetted extension store, which allows developers to submit native extensions and get them signed by Adobe for use in the Flash Player via “Adobe Flash Player Enhancement” – similar to Octoshape’s P2P video streaming plug-in.
Uses could include:
- AugmentedÂ reality
- Peer 2 Peer
- Hardware integration (RFID, Barcode scanners, Arduino etc)
- Native support, and tools, for multi-lingual websites and translation – XLIFF support
Any other suggestions?